Live 17 Nov 2006 version
Well I stood stone-like at midnight suspended in my masquerade
I combed my hair till it was just right and commanded the night brigade
I was open to pain and crossed by the rain and I walked on a crooked crutch
I strode all alone through a fallout zone, came out with my soul untouched
Hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up
([Crowd:] Oh, oh) Growin' up
Ah-one, two, three, four!
Well, the flag of piracy flew from my mast, my sails were set wing to wing
I had a jukebox graduate for first mate, she couldn't sail but she sure could sing
I pushed B-52 and I bombed 'em with the blues with my gear set stubborn on standing
Broke all the rules, strafed my old high school, never once gave thought to landing
Hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "come down" I threw up
Oh, oh, growin' up
Alright, come on boys!
I took month-long vacations in the stratosphere and you know it's really hard to hold your breath
Well I lost everything I ever loved or feared, I was the cosmic kid!
And my feet they finally took root in the earth, got me a nice little place in the stars
I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car
Hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" stood up
Oh, oh, growin' up
Yeah, yeah, growin' up
One, two, a-one!
Page last updated: 23 Jul 2010
The above lyrics are for the live 17 Nov 2006 performance of GROWIN' UP at
Point Theatre in Dublin, Ireland, during The Seeger Sessions Tour. The song was played in
a radically revamped full-band arrangement. This performance of GROWIN' UP was included on the
Live In Dublin CD and DVD releases in 2007.
Ticket stub for the 17 Nov 2006 show at Point Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
[Click thumbnail to enlarge/reduce snapshot]
Live In Dublin Audio and Video Releases
At the end of the Seeger Sessions Tour, the three-night stand at Point
Theater in Dublin, Ireland, (17-18-19 Nov 2006) was filmed with nine High Definition (HD) cameras.
A selection of 23-songs from these three nights was officially released on 05 Jun 2007 on the
Live In Dublin album and DVD, credited to Bruce Springsteen With The Sessions Band. Note
the dropping of "Seeger" from the band's name for this release, probably due to the fact that many
of the songs on this release are Springsteen originals from his earlier records, or covers that
are not related to Pete Seeger.
Live In Dublin is available in 4 formats:
- A 2-CD set
- A standard DVD
- A 2-CD/1-DVD combo set
- A Blu-ray disc
The album charted in several countries, but only made it to #1 in Ireland.
The video was edited by Emmy- and Grammy-winner Thom Zimny, with audio mixed by
Bob Clearmountain (including 5.1 surround) and mastered by Bob Ludwig.
Live In Dublin disc 1 track list (2-CD set format):
- ATLANTIC CITY [Dublin, 17 Nov 2006]
- OLD DAN TUCKER [Dublin, 19 Nov 2006]
- EYES ON THE PRIZE [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
- JESSE JAMES [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
- FURTHER ON (UP THE ROAD) [Dublin, 17 Nov 2006]
- O MARY DON'T YOU WEEP [Dublin, 17 Nov 2006]
- ERIE CANAL [Dublin, 19 Nov 2006]
- IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND [Dublin, 19 Nov 2006]
- MY OKLAHOMA HOME [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
- HIGHWAY PATROLMAN [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
- MRS MCGRATH [Dublin, 17 Nov 2006]
- HOW CAN A POOR MAN STAND SUCH TIMES AND LIVE [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
- JACOB'S LADDER [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
Live In Dublin disc 2 track list (2-CD set format):
- LONG TIME COMIN' [Dublin, 17 Nov 2006]
- OPEN ALL NIGHT [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
- PAY ME MY MONEY DOWN [Dublin, 17 Nov 2006]
- GROWIN' UP [Dublin, 17 Nov 2006]
- WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN [Dublin, 19 Nov 2006]
- THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE [Dublin, 19 Nov 2006]
- AMERICAN LAND [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
- BLINDED BY THE LIGHT [bonus track - Dublin, 19 Nov 2006]
- LOVE OF THE COMMON PEOPLE [bonus track - Barcelona, 24 Oct 2006]
- WE SHALL OVERCOME [bonus track - Dublin, 19 Nov 2006]
Live In Dublin DVD and Blu-ray track list:
All 23 tracks on a single disc
Bruce Springsteen With The Sessions Band PBS Exclusive, a US-only
promotional CD EP, was issued in Spring 2007 as a unique bonus item given exclusively to donors
supporting the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) programming with a minimum pledge of $90. This EP
contains five live tracks recorded during Springsteen's three-show stand at The Point in Dublin,
Ireland, in November 2006, but left off the Live In Dublin album and home video releases.
None of these five tracks is officially available elsewhere. Catalogue number is COL 88697 11292
[Click thumbnail to enlarge/reduce artwork]
to display/hide detailed track listing]
Bruce Springsteen With The Sessions Band PBS Exclusive track list:
- BOBBY JEAN [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
- THE GHOST OF TOM JOAD [Dublin, 19 Nov 2006]
- JOHNNY 99 [Dublin, 18 Nov 2006]
- FOR YOU [Dublin, 19 Nov 2006]
- MY CITY OF RUINS [Dublin, 17 Nov 2006]
List of available versions of GROWIN' UP on this website:
Thanks Jake (ol'catfishinthelake at BTX and Greasy Lake).